To make tasty toffee apple cake…
• 115g/4oz self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
• 115g/4oz self-raising wholemeal flour
• 100g/3½oz soft dark brown sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 5 tbsp sunflower oil
• 5 tbsp milk
• 2 free-range eggs
• 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 5mm/¼in cubes
• 50g/2oz toffee, broken into small pieces
Butter a heatproof bowl and dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Mix the flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon together in a bowl ¬– you’ll find plenty in store.
In a jug, beat together the oil, milk and eggs. Pour this onto the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the apple and toffee pieces. Licking the bowl not optional. Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 50-60 minutes. Test the cake is cooked through by inserting a skewer into the centre, if it is cooked it will come out clean. Leave in the dish to cool for 10 minutes, turn the cake out and then scoff the lot!