There’s always a reason to bake, right? Whether you need to sweeten up the neighbours or want to show off your skills at a family tea, we’ve put together a must-have-in-your-kit list. With everyday essentials and fab finds for scrummy prices in store now, there won’t be a soggy bottom in sight!
For cakes & puds
1. Big brand cake tin – because everything tastes yummier with a little added name-drop.
2. Cooling rack – we know waiting is the hardest part, but it’s oh so worth it.
3. Rolling pin – knead we say more?
4. Icing smoother – for perfectly smoothed icing at perfect prices.
5. Measuring cups – one for you, two for me… but who’s counting?
6. Mixing bowls – that fancy French stoneware will do just the trick.
To make yummy chocolate crunch bites…You’ll need
170g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for the tin
1 tsp vanilla extract
170g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
25g cocoa powder
1 large egg, beaten
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter a 20cm square tin and line with baking parchment. Stir the melted butter and vanilla together in a bowl (you’ll find plenty in store!). Mix the caster sugar, flour and cocoa together in another bowl. Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the dry and beat together, then add the egg and beat again until combined. Press into the prepared tin. Brush the top with water and sprinkle over the granulated sugar. Bake for 30-35 mins. Leave to cool slightly in the tin for 5 mins before slicing into squares and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely – then scoff the lot!